Exploring Double and Triple Distilled Whisk(e)ys
Online Event Thursday 27th January at 7:30 p.m.
Booking Opened on Today, Mon 17th Jan at 6:00 p.m.
For our first tasting of the New Year, we have turned to a perennial discussion topic, the respective merits of double and triple distillation. To explore how different distillation practices influence the taste of the finished product, we have decided to look at how double and triple distilled spirits interact with the casks in which they are matured.
To that end, we will be comparing double and triple distilled single malts from Ireland and Scotland matured in Bourbon casks, matured in sherry casks, and matured and finished in a variety of casks.
The tasting will be hosted by IWS cask advisory group member Liam Smith with expert tasting notes provided by another society stalwart, Rachel Lindsay.
1. Cragganmore 12 (40% ABV.)Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Double Distilled. Ex-Bourbon Casks.
2. Knappogue Castle 12 Cask Strength (54.5% ABV.)Single Malt Irish Whiskey. Triple Distilled. Ex-Bourbon Casks. Cask Strength at 54.5% ABV.
3. Glenfarclas 15 (46% ABV.)Highland Single Malt Scotch Whiskey. Double Distilled. Ex-Sherry Casks.
4. The Irishman 17 (c. 56% ABV.)
Single Malt Irish Whiskey. Triple Distilled. Ex-Shery Cask. Single Cask at 56% ABV.
5. Tyrconnell 16 (46% ABV.)Single Malt Irish Whiskey. Double Distilled. Ex-Bourbon, ex-Shery and ex-Moscatel Casks.
6. Auchentoshan Three Wood (43% ABV.)Single Malt Scotch Whiskey. Triple Distilled. Ex-Bourbon, ex-Oloroso & ex-PX Sherry Casks.
Our thanks to the new IWS Events Team for organising the packs for this event. Also special thanks to Liam Smith for preparing and presenting this tasting for us and Rachel Lindsay for her assistance.
Booking opens, 6:00pm Monday 17th January. Please ensure to complete your Full Address and Eircode / Postcode correctly to receive your sample pack. Please set a reminder and ensure to book early to avoid disappointment.
It is necessary to complete payment via PayPal (within 15 minutes) to secure your booking. Samples can only be shipped within the Island of Ireland to Members of the Society.
Please read the Terms & Conditions:
The event LiveStream will begin at 7:30pm on Thursday 27th of January. You will receive a link to the live stream in advance of the tasting. Make sure you are ready with your whiskey tasting glass(es), water and think about any questions you might like to ask. You can email them in beforehand to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to seeing you there.
Michael & The IWS Events Team
Irish Whiskey Society